The new energy saving bulbs-Compact Fluorescent Lights (CFL) – are a danger to the public.Most of them save there money by replacing the old normal light with the new generation Eco_friendly light.According to the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), emergency method must be followed in the event a light bulb breaks, due to the vapors it will release.They release 20 times maximum concentration of mercury into the air. Energy Saving Light Bulbs May Cause following Disease.
- Cluster headaches
- Inability to concentrate
How it Affect the health. Energy saving bulb contain mercury its a powerful neurotoxin which is highly harmful to pregnant women and children.Its very toxic to the nervous system, brain, kidneys and liver.it can damage the immune, reproductive and cardiovascular systems. It can lead to anxiety, memory loss, tremors, insomnia, Alzheimer’s, headaches and cancer. Phenol is a white crystalline solid which is mildly poison retrieved from tar. Naphthalene is white volatile crystal element used in moth balls made by the distillation of coal tar .The bluer light emitted by the CFL will disrupt the production of melatonin. These result to the breast cancer when used late at night. Artificial Light contains UV and IR radiations.They emit visible and invisible radiations.It is concerned that emission level of some light bulb is harmful for our eyes and skin.It can disrupt the hormonal and human body clock system.The ultraviolet and blue components can cause severe health problems they have high potential. The wavelength of visible light determines its color, from violet (shorter wavelength) through to red (longer wavelength). According to Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory by Peter Brain,these light contain toxic carcinogen which leads to cancer.Sustained exposure of UV lights may cause macular degeneration and cataracts. Precautions taken while using Energy saving Bulbs.
- Be careful when the bulb is broken The agencies have made several protocols how to keep reach from this broken pieces .You should air out your room and leave the heating system and A/C off for few hours.
- Collect the broken pieces cardboard, sticky tape, damp paper towels or wet wipes, a glass jar with a metal lid or a seal-able plastic bag.Disposal should be done in the outdoor of your house, must be a protected area.
- Vacuuming will spread the mercury .
- Bulb should not be left on for a long time on someones head because they emit poisonous material when switched on.